Bright kitchen lighting with LED tape
Your lighting expert explains how:
Ideal lighting in your kitchen is very important, especially in the area of working surfaces. After all, sharp knives and hot pots are used - you should keep an eye on everything. We'll show you how this can be done simply, efficiently and stylishly with LED tape.
It's not so easy to get light directly onto the worktop - it's soon hidden by your own body. That's why many cooker hoods have a lighting device in which 40W lamps can usually be fitted.
They rarely manage to illuminate the entire work area. They use a lot of energy for this. A much more elegant and affordable solution is the use of LED tape.
We converted a kitchen to show you how easy it is to switch to LED tape.
LED tape to replace 40W lamps in the cooker hood
We have used the following components for our conversion:
✓ LED Strips from Tridonic
✓ LED drivers from OSRAM
✓ 2m connection cable with plug
✓ Tridonic connectors for LED tape
✓ Connection terminal with 5 connections from Electro Terminal
We have chosen warm white LED tape to give the kitchen a cosy atmosphere. Alternatively we recommend the use of neutral or daylight white light. This is considered to promote concentration and is therefore ideal for areas where you work.
In the kitchen there are fumes and you should make sure that your LED strips have adequate IP protection.
Installation of LED-Tape in your kitchen in 5 easy steps:
- Shorten the LED-Tape to the required length. The Tridonic tape has markings every 10 cm, where you can cut the strips.
- Remove the adhesive foil at the back of the tape. Subsequently, attach the connectors. Connect the end of the tape marked with the tag + with the red cable.
- Affix the LED-Tape to the place desired, for example below your wall cupboard or at the kitchen hood. Given the heat dissipating adhesive of the Tridonic Tape, it can be attached on wooden boards without hesitation. If necessary, application of an aluminium foil should be taken into consideration for cooling of tapes having a higher lumen.
- Wire the LED-tape with the driver. As decribed above, please link the red cable to the output with the tag +. Should you need to connect several pieces, simply bring together the red (+) and black (-) cables with the help of a fastener and then wire with the driver.
- What is missing now is just the connection with electricity The phase (brown) and the neutral wire (blue) have to be linked to the corresponding port of the driver. Simply plug the connecter in the power socket and activate the LED-tape with the electronic switch.
Please bear in mind that all subsequent operations should only be executed by qualified technical staff.
Intelligent control of lighting: with Casambi
If you wish to have even more energy saving and more comfortable lighting, you can combine your LED-tape with Casambi.
Casambi PWM4 has especially been developed for constant voltage applications, such as the LED-tape. It has to simply be installed between the LED-tape and the driver. The tape can be easily operated via the Casambi App (free of charge) for iOS or Android by Bluetooth. Dimming, switching, creating scenes, setting timer: really easy and fast!! You will find more information on Casambi and the various modules here!
For application in cooking areas where vapours are appearing, LED drivers as well as PWM4 Units should have an appropriate IP protection.